Exchange programme to NTU Spring Semester 2019/2020

My most Frequently Asked Questions are:
1. Why Taiwan?
2. Why NTU?
3. Why exchange? (LOL)

So here, I'm gonna answer all those questions, and I believe that it would be useful to some of you who are reading this (you probably are planning an exchange too, that's great!)

Alright. Before that, let me have a quick self-intro. I'm from Malaysia, studying at University of Malaya. My major is finance, and by the time I did the exchange programme I was in my third year (second semester). 

OK so, by right I should say about why would I go for an exchange right. But, I choose to leave it to the last part, as it would be a long long story to tell. 

1. WHY TAIWAN.
Many friends said that I should go to a western country instead of an Asian one since I'm already in Asia, and what's more, Taiwan is a Chinese-speaking country, which means that it would be my comfort zone because Mandarin is my first language! 

Well, firstly, I would say that budget is my biggest concern above all. Living cost in Taiwan is much more affordable as compared to other countries such as Japan, Korea, and not to say the western countries like Australia and UK. 

Secondly, I planned to do the exchange programme alone(without company by any friend), so I would say that going to a country where I don't have any language barrier would be better for me. Imagine that I'm that kind of girl who always does stupid things like throwing away my earphones together with my trash and always gets lost even in my residential area. I guess it's a smart choice to go to Taiwan, where people are so friendly and helpful. 

2. WHY NTU.
Well, I always look up to universities that have good reputation, and that is why I chose the best-ranked university in Taiwan - National Taiwan University. There are some comments I would give about this school:
-Most of their core courses are conducted in Mandarin. Of course there are courses conducted fully in English, and are suitable to be taken for international students like me. But, if you are a Mandarin speaker, I would recommend that you take some of their Mandarin-conducted classes, because those are courses that the local students take, and you will be exposed to their culture more easily. (Just trust me, every university has different culture. You should get close to their students to know more!)

-People in this university are diverse. You can see people with different mindset, supporting different things and having different belief. There is no an absolute answer on what's right and what's wrong, coming to NTU really widens my horizon. Through various activities that the students hold, you can really know more about how Taiwanese think. 

Comments